Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Autism Awareness Month

It's been a while! I have a few posts I need to finish that I have saved until I get some time. In the meantime, I thought that I'd mention that April is Autism Awareness Month. As a teacher, I worked with many kids diagnosed with Autism spectrum disorders. These amazing students and their parents taught me so much!

One of my good friends, Rachael, has a son, Gavin, who has been diagnosed with an Autism spectrum disorder. Gavin is such a beautiful and amazing child, and I admire Rachael everyday for her patience and persistence. Gavin is very lucky to have such a great mother! In this months issue of Utah Baby Guide, Rachael wrote a must-read article called "being a mom to a child with autism". Check it out!!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the information the other night!!! That was a wonderful article! Thanks for sharing!

Catherine Glazner said...

Thats awesome Nicole!! I'm totally gonna go check out Rachael's post. Rachael your awesome! She is soo good with Gavin. I didn't know that April was Autism awareness, I'm so glad these things are being acknowledged now instead of being swept under the run or not knowing how to deal with these situations.

Rachael Grotegut said...

Nicole you are so awesome to post this! Seriously if I knew you had a blog I would have said something earlier. You are such a sweet friend. I appreciate this so much!
I totally miss hanging out too. I totally got into a funk after we found out about Gavin last year. I was a total hermit and lost touch with everyone. I'm sorry I such a crappy friend. We totally need to hang out sometime soon!